Making it through winter...
February 28, 2021
It’s the last day of February! Once we get to March we can breathe a little easier...we know spring is coming, the days are getting longer, and farm babies start showing up.
The last couple weeks we have spent keeping the animals as comfortable as possible with extra feed, bedding and calf jackets to keep them warm and cozy, and continually checking water to make sure it has not froze. We knew there was hope when we had a sunny 20 degree day and exclaimed how warm it felt!
We spent some of our down time this winter planning for the upcoming year. We are excited for some new things this year.
- Secured butcher dates almost every month – which means more consistent beef availability
- More pigs – we will raise 18 pigs this year (which is 14 more than last year)
- More meat chickens – our first batch of 100 is already on order
- More laying hens – 24 chicks will be arriving at the end of March
- Website (mayhillfarmwi.com) – you can check inventory and place orders any time of day
- Pasture Plan – our fields will be converted into pasture this spring and over a mile of fencing will go in for our livestock
- More cute calves arrived over the last couple weeks
- Weekly pickup from our local grocery store of produce they can no longer sell to give to our livestock
- We have a Madison area pickup tentatively scheduled for March 20th (location TBD)
No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow. - Proverb